Q. What must I do to apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

A. In order to apply you may:

1. Obtain an application at the State Police Headquarters (7919 Independence Blvd., Baton Rouge) between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
2. Contact the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit at (225) 925-4867; via e-mail at concealed_handguns@dps.state.la.us ; or by writing to:

Louisiana State Police
Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
PO Box 66375
Baton Rouge, LA 70896

3. Download an application from the “How To Apply” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html).

Once you have completed the application, follow the application procedures and complete the checklist on the last page. Be sure to include all required documentation or your application may be returned or delayed. Mail the completed application along with the appropriate fee to the above address.

(L.R.S. 40:1379.3)

Q. How much does it cost to get a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

A. All applicants shall submit with the application a non-refundable $125 fee in the form of a certified check or money order for a five-year concealed handgun permit. Applicants that are age 65 or older pay one half of this amount.

However, any applicant that has not continuously resided within the state of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately preceding the date on which their application is received must enclose an additional non-refundable $50 fee.


Q. Can I get my money back if my application is not approved?

A. No, this administrative fee is non-refundable. – (LAC 55:I:1307.B.15)

Q. Are permits from other states valid in Louisiana? If I have a Louisiana concealed handgun permit, can I carry my concealed handgun in other states?

A. Please refer to the “Reciprocity” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html) for a list of states that honor Louisiana permits and whose permits are honored in Louisiana. Effective August 15, 2011, Louisiana will no longer allow residents of this state to carry concealed with a non-resident permit issued by another state.
[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (T) (1)]

Q. My permit is going to expire. What do I need to do to keep my permit valid?

A. Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record (keep this updated at all times), approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of the permit.

If you have access to the internet; upon notification, download the application from the State Police website (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html) complete the renewal application along with a new passport photograph, training certificate, and the appropriate fees.

If you do not have access to the internet; please contact the Concealed Handgun Unit and request an application via telephone (225) 925-4867, go to your local library to use the computer or send your request for a packet to: Louisiana State Police, Concealed Handgun Permit Unit, P.O.Box 66375, Baton Rouge, LA 70896.

The fees for renewal applications are the same as an original, minus the additional $50.00 fee from those persons that have not resided in the state for the past fifteen (15) years, providing this fee was previously submitted with the original application.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D.1)

You must submit your application within 60 days of the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application.


Q. Do I have to return my old permit when I receive my renewed permit?

A. Yes, you must return an expired permit. LAC 55:I:1309.I, states “Any permit issued by the deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall be deemed to be the property of the department and shall be surrendered and returned to the department upon suspension, revocation, or expiration, or when the permittee ceases to reside in the state.”

You can obtain our mailing address on the “Contact Us” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html).

Q. Once I submit my application, when should I expect to receive my permit?

A. Processing times are determined by certain factors that vary with each application. Barring complications, the average processing time is approximately 90-120 days. However, if complications arise you will be notified by mail.

Q. I have moved out of state. Is my permit still valid?

A. No, when a permittee ceases to reside within the state the permit becomes invalid and must be returned to the Department of Public Safety. If you return to the state, you must reapply for a permit.

(LAC 55:I:1309.H)

However, L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (J) (3) and LAC 55:I:1307.D.2 (b) provides that a resident attending school or on active military duty in another state may reside outside the state with proper documentation to support this residency exemption.

Q. How long do I have to live in Louisiana before I am eligible for a permit?

A. You may apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit once you have established residency.
[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)]

Q. Are non-residents allowed to have a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

A. You may apply for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit once you have established residency.
[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)]

Q. If I am in the military and just transferred here, can I get a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

A. Yes, once you have established residency, you will be eligible for the concealed handgun permit. [L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)] However, you must have either a Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana identification card as required by LAC 55:I:1307.B.5.a.i.

Q. How long is my Louisiana permit valid?

A. Permits are valid for five years.

[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (H)]

Q. What do I do if my permit is lost or stolen?

A. If your permit is lost or stolen, you need to notify the Concealed Handgun Permit Unit in a notarized written statement completely describing the loss or theft. Please include a copy of any police reports made pertaining to this matter. A new permit will be mailed to your address of record.

(LAC 55:I:1309.H)

Q. If I move, how do I change the address on my permit?

A. Go to the “Forms” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html) and click on the “Change of Address” form. This form can be filled out and submitted online, or you may print the form and submit it via mail or fax. This should be done within 30 days of the effective date of the address change.

(LAC 55:I:1313.4) Failure to comply with this provision may result in a fine of up to $100 assessed by the department. L.R.S 40:1379.3 (C) (1) authorizes a 30 day suspension of your permit for failure to notify the department within 30 days of an address change.

Q. Can I carry my handgun in my vehicle?

A. Under most circumstances, carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle is legal in Louisiana. We suggest that you refer to Louisiana Revised Statutes (L.R.S.) Title 14 Sections 95; 95.1; 95.2; 95.6; 95.7; 95.8. Information on these statutes can be obtained at http://www.legis.state.la.us or in the “Laws and Rules” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html).

at http://www.legis.state.la.us or in the “Laws and Rules” section of our web page (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html)

Q. Do I have to register my handgun with the state?

A. No, Louisiana state law does not require registration of handguns unless the serial number is obliterated. Refer to L.R.S. 40:1781 (3).

Q. What is 18 USC 922 (g)?

A. 18 USC 922 (g) is a section of the U.S. Code that states that it is unlawful for anyone who is convicted of a felony; is a fugitive from justice; is an unlawful user of controlled dangerous substances; has been adjudicated mentally defective or been committed to a mental institution; is an illegal alien; was dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces; has renounced his citizenship; or is under restrictions of a protective order; to own or possess a firearm.


Q. Do I need additional training if I already possess a parish permit?

A. No, additional training is not required on the original application from an instructor that has registered with the Department. (See list of Instructors on our web page – http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html)

[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (D) (1) (d)]

However, anyone applying for a renewal must seek additional educational training.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D)

Q. Do I need additional training to obtain a renewal of my concealed handgun permit?

A. Yes, additional training is required for anyone seeking a renewal of their concealed handgun permit.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D.4)

Q. Do I need additional training if I am on active duty in the armed forces?

A. For original or first time applicants:
No, if you posses a certificate of completion of basic training (DD-214) with service record evidence of having successfully completed small arms training and qualification, you do not need additional training on an original application. Qualifying scores provided by your Range NCO will suffice with a copy of your Military ID Card (front and back).

[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (D) (1) (ii)]

For renewals:
Yes, you will be required to take additional educational training.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D.4)

Q. I am active duty military and stationed in this state. What do I have to do to obtain a permit?

A. You must complete an application and submit all the documents on the application checklist. You may use your military small arms qualification in lieu of training. However, you MUST obtain either a Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana identification card and submit a copy along with a copy of your military identification and your orders assigning you to this state. There are no waivers for this requirement.

Q. If I used my DD214 to suffice for training on my original application, can the DD214 suffice for training on my renewal application?

A. No, refresher training is required of all renewal applicants.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D.4)

Q. Does a no contest or nolo contendere plea of guilty, or a conviction that has been set aside, count as a conviction as it applies to the qualifications for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit?

A. LAC 55:I:1307.7 & 8 specifies that a no contest or nolo contendere plea of guilty, shall include a dismissal and conviction set aside under the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 893. As such, a no contest or nolo contendere plea of not guilty applies when considering the qualifications for a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit and should be listed.

Q. I was arrested but the charges were dropped, do I still need an arrest disposition?

A. Yes, all arrest or summons must be listed on your application. Furthermore, you must provide a certified true copy of the court minutes, which reflects the final disposition of the charge and submit it with your application.

(LAC 55:I:1307.7 & 8)

Q. I called the clerk of court to get the disposition but the court said I have no record, what do I do?

A. Some old convictions (20+ years) may not be on file. However, you must at least obtain a letter from the clerk of court stating no record, dismissed, or nolle prosse and submit the certified true copies of all arrest or summons with your application.

Q. Where do I get a copy of my arrest disposition?

A. The records may be obtained from the Clerk of Court or District Attorney of the parish in which the arrest or prosecution occurred. If you were charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance, the disposition may be obtained from the City Clerk of Court or City Prosecutor.

Q. What documents must I submit if the issue date on my driver’s license is less than six months old?

A. LAC 55:I:1307.5.a states that a Louisiana Identification card, U.S. Passport, Louisiana Voter Registration Card, a utility bill, phone bill, proof of mortgage or rent payments in the name of the applicant, which establishes a Louisiana permanent address of the applicant will suffice, if those records clearly show the applicant’s name, address, and date.

Q. What should I do if I will be traveling into another state and I would like to know their handgun laws?

A. You may consult the Internet or that state’s Attorney General’s Office. If you are a licensed concealed handgun permit holder from Louisiana with a valid permit you must carry in accordance with each state’s concealed carry law that you enter, providing they are a reciprocal state.

Q. Do you have to list an expungement for an arrest or conviction?

A. The term expungement means removal from public record only. Law enforcement will still have a record of the arrest, regardless of the outcome. You must still list this information and provide the required documentation. Failure to do so may result in a delay or denial of your permit.

Q. I understand that LRS 40:1379.3 as amended in the 2010 Regular Legislative Session may now allow me to carry a concealed handgun in a church, synagogue or mosque. Are there any additional steps that I need to take to carry a concealed handgun in a these places?

A. It is within the discretion of the church, synagogue, or mosque to authorize the carrying of a concealed handgun in such place. If the place of worship chooses to authorize the carrying of concealed handguns in its facility, the place of worship shall require the person wishing to carry a concealed handgun on its premises to complete an additional eight hours of tactical training, on an annual basis. You should contact the authority of the place of worship to determine if they allow the carrying of concealed handguns in the facility and what tactical training they require for approval for a permit holder to do so.

Q. I was given an expungement for a criminal offense. I was told that this was now off my record. Do I still have to list an arrest or conviction that has been expunged?

A. The term expungement means removal from public record. However, a record will always be kept for law enforcement purposes. If you have been given an expungement for an arrest or conviction, you must still list this information and supply the necessary documentation.

wireless doorbell amazon